Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Cafe Velo

Some of you who work at the City Center building may remember the old Cafe Sha Sha on the corner of 4oo S and 200 E.  It was a small joint that served everything good, with great specials and killer breakfasts.  Well they closed down.  Then some chump opened up Molly's there, and the place sucked.  I lost weight because I ate less.  It was that bad.  
Well, enter Mike.  Mike has come in and opened the place back up as Cafe Velo.  It is still a work in progress, however, work is moving in the right direction.  Yesterday I had a hamburger and have to say it was a tasty burger and I see many more heading for my belly in the future.  CV has fantastic french fries that are battered in I don't know what, and I don't care, they are GOOD!  Blueberry muffins are fresh and warm every morning (right about the time I roll in anyway) and they are huge and reasonably priced.
Back to the burger and the overall value of the place, the burger while quite good, using a special bread, and good lean meat, is tad pricey, and it is representative of the price of most things there.  It is easy for a burger aficionado to head up the hill to B&D and save a couple of bucks.  But this burger is unique, and I suspect I will have another within a week or so.  
Overall, Cafe Velo deserves a visit, and people are starting to visit in greater numbers.  When chump owned the place after Sha Sha, the place was a ghost town, now the lunchtime line is coming back in greater numbers.  Mike may not have brought it back to its former glory, but he is on the right path.  If you are walking distance, it is definitely worth the stroll for a burger and fries and nice business casual atmosphere.  Keep up the good work Mike.

No comments: